Suspects Arrested in Stabbing Death of 65-year-old Syracuse Man

Oct 17, 2013

Four teenagers were arrested this week in connection with the murder of Marvin Bryant. Bryant was robbed on Monday night on South Salina street and stabbed twice in the back. He was rushed to Upstate University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A crime scene in Syracuse
Credit Syracuse Police Benevolent Association

Syracuse Police Department Chief Frank Fowler says that evidence gathered from the scene suggests that Bryant was forcefully robbed of his wallet by Tony Comer 10 to 15 minutes prior to the stabbing.

The second and third suspects, Shakeith Stackhouse and Jahmeer Stackhouse, and a fourth individual, aged 15, then lured the victim to the corner of East Beard Avenue and Beard Place with the promise of drugs, where they robbed him of his remaining money and stabbed him. Bryant was able to return to his residence on South Salina Street before he collapsed.

Fowler says that Bryant was loitering in the area looking to buy crack cocaine.   Fowler says the nature of Bryant’s dealings with the suspects will have no bearing on the charges against them:

Tony Comer was arrested Wednesday for murder in the third degree for his involvement in the incident. The Stackhouses and the juvenile defendant were arrested for murder in the second degree and robbery in the first degree. The 15-year-old suspect is being held at Hillbrook Detention Center, while the three adults are held at the Onondaga County Justice Center.

When pressed by reporters about whether there's a pattern to the recent murders or if they're gang-related, Fowler explained while similar characteristics to each of the crimes would make his investigators’ work easier, the Department has found no connections:

Fowler says the most important thing the police and the public can keep in mind is to engage in preventive efforts to keep gang violence and other crimes at a minimum, and to help keep Syracuse youth from entering criminal systems in the first place. He says the Syracuse Police Department is grateful for the help of community members in investigating Bryant’s death: