Syracuse Rallies From Behind to Beat No. 9 Army in Triple OT

Feb 24, 2018

Sophomore Jamie Trimboli took four shots on goal and scored two goals for the Orange. His goal in the third quarter was a huge momentum builder for the team.

The No. 16 ranked Syracuse Orange (2-1, 0-0) played their third game of the season today, and second against a ranked opponent. Winning 11-10, Syracuse handed the No. 9 ranked Army Black Knights (1-1, 0-0) their first loss of the season in a triple overtime come-from-behind dramatic fashion. In a long and grueling matchup, the Orange were able to come out on top in this thriller of a victory.

After coming off a disappointing 15-3 loss to No. 3 Albany the week before, Syracuse’s huge win today showed that they can compete with the other top ranked teams in the nation.

Junior Nate Solomon had the first goal of the game, scoring early with nine minutes left in the first quarter, but Army was quick to respond with a goal soon after to tie it up early.

Trying to pick up the momentum of the game for the Orange, head coach John Desko put in a whole new attack and midfield late in the first. Despite his efforts, both teams walked off the field after the first quarter tied at 1-1.

Syracuse remained scoreless in the second quarter, heading into halftime losing 6-1. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Dom Madonna made some great saves in the second, preventing Army from running away with it in the first half.

For the second week in a row, the Orange were very much struggling offensively. Army had a 16-6 advantage on groundballs and outscored Syracuse 17-10.

Sophomore Jamie Trimboli was able to get the Orange back on the board early on the third quarter but the Back Nights’ Connor Glancy responded with his third goal of the game, extending Army’s lead to five once again.

Redshirt senior Dom Madonna made seven saves in Syracuse's triple OT win over No. 9 Army.

After trailing 7-2, Syracuse scored four consecutive goals in the third quarter to close the gap. Each team scored another goal before the end of the third, making the score 8-7 and giving Army a one goal lead heading into the final quarter of regulation.

Both teams went back and forth in the final quarter before Syracuse finally regained the lead with Solomon’s goal to give the Orange a 10-9 lead with less than six minutes left in the game.

Army tied the game up at 10-10 and that is how the score would remain in the fist two overtimes. It wasn't until redshirt senior Ryan Simmons had an unassisted goal in the third overtime to win the game for Syracuse.

Syracuse was able to erase a 5 goal deficit and come back to win the game against No. 9 ranked Army. The Orange’s win was truly a team effort as the offense refused to give up and the defense, quarterbacked by Madonna, made some huge saves throughout the entire game.

Syracuse heads to Charlottesville, Virginia next weekend to take on No. 6 Virginia in their first away game and conference game of the season.